Prune is also known as dried plum. You may find different types of prunes all over the world. But, Prunus domestica, Prunus americana, and Prunus salicina are largely found on the earth.
Prune juice acts as a laxative that helps to get rid of constipation. So, many people drink it to relieve constipation, though it is not that palatable.
Many of us don’t like the prune juice to drink either especially toddlers. So, how to make prune juice taste better? Or how to make it drinkable for toddlers?
Well, today we will share with you some tips and tricks to make your prune juice taste good for kids.
What does prune juice taste like?
Prune juice tastes sweet and strong flavor and is a bit thicker than juice with a chewy and sticky texture. Sometimes, it tastes like a strong red wine flavor of its super sweet and thick texture.
Apart from sweet flavor, you may experience a little tart taste at times. This fat-free juice also makes you feel a salt-free taste naturally.
Prune juice nutrition facts:
Prunes are very nutritious fruit. The juice of prune contains vitamin A, B-6, K, iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, riboflavin, niacin, low fat and cholesterol, and fiber.
According to Healthline– prune juice is packed with potassium, which helps balance sodium in the health and keep maintain normal blood pressure.
USDA’s research shows that a cup of prune juice is high in vitamin K, calcium, dietary fiber, water, phosphorus, and no cholesterol.
How to Make Prune Juice Taste Better?
We will introduce you to several ways- how to make prune juice taste better?
Dilute it with water:
Prune juice is a strong flavored juice which makes it a bad-tasting juice for children. Having a medicinal value for constipation, most of us prefer it for our toddlers.
But, being strong flavored and thickly textured juice, our kids don’t want to drink it. Therefore, to reduce the strong natural flavor, you can dilute it with water to make it taste good and better for your kids.
Children under the age of 5 years old are highly prone to constipation. Prune juice may not work for every kid to relieve them from constipation.
You should not give prune juice to your newborn baby and infants under the age of 1 year without the recommendation of the doctor.
You can dilute prune juice with water in a 1:1 ratio for getting a better result. That is to say, 1 ounce of prune juice diluted with 1 ounce of water.
Juice It With Fruits Or Veggies:
Juicing prune juice with other sweet and tart fruits can reduce its syrup-like taste. Juicing with apple and orange gives a pleasant flavor, and makes it drinkable and less thick juice.
Apart from giving a better taste, it adds more extra nutrients to your drink. You can juice it with some other fruits like avocado, grape, cranberry, lime, lemon, pineapple, etc. to make it taste better. You can also do your experiment by juicing with your favorite fruits.
What about the veggies? Yes, you can add some veggies to make your prune juice taste good such as carrot, cucumber, spinach, kale, celery, etc.
Add plenty of ice:
You can add lots of add to your prune juice. Ice can help you balance out the taste and texture of your prune juice. It lessens the sweetness and thick texture of your prune juice and makes it a palatable juice within a short period.
Make prune juice smoothie:
You can make prune juice smoothies to make them taste better for your kids. Smoothie looks pleasant and appealing.
Generally, the kids are not willing to take prune juice solely for its bad taste and texture. When you blend it with some fruits and veggies, it gives a nice look and texture.
As a result, you can hide its bad taste and texture from your kids. Different kinds of berries work best in this case like strawberries and raspberries.
Their color and taste help to balance the nasty brown texture and strong flavor for your kids. You can add some yogurt and sugar-free milk to make it more tasty and tempting.
Also, add some greens to make your prune juice smoothie more nutritious.
Add sweeteners to it
You might find it strange adding some sweeteners to it, though it is already a sweet juice. The addition of sweeteners makes you get rid of the nasty sweet flavor of prune juice.
Add some sugar and honey to get a different sweet flavor that is likable. For your kids, you can add a variety of ice cream and chocolate to make it pleasant and drinkable.
6 best Prune juice and smoothie recipes to make it taste better:
Prune-Apple Juice Recipe:
- 5-6 prunes
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 apples
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2-3 mints
- Ice cubes
- Wash all prunes, apples, and mint leaves properly.
- Take a bowl, pour with hot water, and soak the prunes for up to 20-30 minutes.
- Turn on your masticating juicer (I personally use this juicer), and put the soaked prunes with hot water, apples, cinnamons into the feed chute, and juice for a few minutes.
- Once finished juicing, put some ice cubes in the juice mixture and garnish with mint leaves.
- Now, it’s ready to serve hot prune juice recipe. If you prefer to drink cold juice, make sure to refrigerate it for a few hours.
Prune-Lemon Juice Recipe:
- 5-6 prunes
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 ¼ cups of water
- 2-4 ice cubes
- Take 5-6 dried prunes, soak them with ¼ cup of water and keep covered for 20 minutes
- Turn on your juicer, put all soaked prunes with water and lemon juice, and add 1 cup more with all cane sugar into the feeding chute of the juicer.
- Once complete juicing, add the ice cubes and serve immediately.
Strawberry Prune Juice Smoothie:
- 10-12 prunes
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 ½ cups ice cubes
- Soak all prunes in ½ cup of water for 20 minutes
- Put soaked prunes, strawberries, chia seeds, spinach, and 1 cup of water in the blender and blend them properly.
- Once finish blending well, add some ice cubes and serve this delicious smoothie immediately.
Watermelon Prunes Juice:
- 1 watermelon
- ½ ounce of prune juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 mint leaves
- A few ice cubes
- Cut the watermelon and remove the flesh from the skin and cut the flesh into smaller chunks. It’s not necessary to remove the seeds and white pulp.
- Put all smaller pieces into the feeder chute of the juicer and squeeze properly.
- Once complete juicing, strain them properly and add prune juice.
- Before serving add lemon juice and ice cubes, and garnish with mint leaves.
Banana Prune Juice Smoothie:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 5 prunes
- 5 almonds
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp flax seed powder
- Soak the prunes in ½ cup of water for 20 minutes
- Put all ingredients into a blender (use this blender) and blend adjusting proper consistency by adding more milk if required.
- Once prepared, serve it banana prune juice smoothie immediately.
Pear Strawberry Prune Juice Smoothie:
- 1 pear
- 3-4 prunes
- 5-6 frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3-4 cups of water
- Soak the prunes in water for 20 minutes
- Cut the strawberries and pear into smaller chunks and remove the seeds and core from the pears.
- Turn on the blender, add pears, strawberries, soaked prunes, and honey, and blend for 2-3 minutes.
- Once finished, serve it to your kids immediately. It’s great for relieving constipation.
Benefits of Prune Juice:
Prune juice provides a bunch of incredible health benefits.
Relives from constipation:
Prune juice has a laxative effect on our bodies. After drinking prune juice our digestive system works fast and reduces the time between bowel activities.
This occurs because of fiber and sorbitol ‘a laxative’ contained in prune juice. This way it stimulates fast digestion and relieves us from constipation.
Reduces risk of high blood pressure:
Prune juice is packed with potassium and antioxidants, which are super helpful for controlling blood pressure.
Antioxidants help reduce the effect of free radicles in our body and potassium aids in maintaining a balance between sodium levels in the blood. Thus, these two elements help control high blood pressure.
Keeps hydrated longer:
Prune juice contains a high amount of water. Drinking a cup of Prune juice helps keep you fuller for longer.
Thus, it saves your different organs from being weakened. It also helps reduce our appetite for longer periods.
Improves liver health:
Hepatitis is a disease of the liver. When it attacks our liver, it produces harmful chemicals which can damage our liver soon.
The vitamin and antioxidants in prune juice can fight against these chemicals and improve our liver health.
Improves bone health:
Drinking a cup of prune juice provides a sufficient amount of calcium and other nutrients that help improve bone density and overall bone health. It also aids in preventing osteoporosis.
Reduces risk of colon cancer:
Drinking prune juice increases microbiota ‘helpful bacteria’ throughout the colon, which can help lower the risk of colon cancer.
Aids control blood cholesterol:
Prune juice has little or no cholesterol at all. It can boost your heart health by lowering blood cholesterol.
High cholesterol can cause atherosclerosis, meaning narrowing heart arteries, which hamper smooth blood flow in the heart. It can lead to heart attack, stroke, and heart failure.
How much Prune Juice should I drink to get the benefits?
Half cup or about 4 ounces of prune juice every day should you drink to get full health benefits. Drinking excess prune juice may lead to unusual weight gain, diabetes, and high blood pressure as it’s a super sweet drink.
When should I drink prune juice?
Morning is the best time to drink prune juice to reap full health benefits. You can also drink it half an hour after your breakfast or meal.
Drinking before and after a workout keep you hydrated and fuller for longer periods and help recover energy loss while workout.
If you want to take prune juice before bed, drink it 2-3 hours before going to bed. Otherwise, it may lead you unnecessary weight gain for its sweetness.
Read More Articles